A safety festival that attracted around 10,000 people is set to become an annual fixture.
Initial planning has already begun for next year’s Safer Capital Festival after the success of this year’s event, according to Councillor Judith Woodman.
The joint chairman of the Safer Capital partnership said the attractions outside Cardiff’s City Hall last Saturday showcased the work being carried out to reduce crime.
She said: “The weather was with us and so were the people and the feedback I’ve already received has been incredibly positive.”
Former boxer Nicky Piper joined forces with the South Wales Police community safety training officers to demonstrate some defensive manoeuvres.
There was also a display by the police dog section and members of the force’s specialist search team abseiled down City Hall.
The festival, which was free to attend, also raised a total of £296 for the South Wales Police Youth Trust charity.
Superintendent Liane James, deputy divisional commander for Cardiff, said: “The Safer Capital Festival was an extravaganza that showcased just how much all of the partners in Cardiff are doing to keep Cardiff safe.
“Last year we had 4,411 fewer victims of crime, this year we are well on our way to surpassing that figure and, in addition, we have already seen a reduction in anti-social behaviour of 25%. All this has been achieved with all of our partners working together and this event gave the public an opportunity to understand and see all the fantastic work that is being achieved.”
Safer Capital is made up of six statutory partners: Cardiff Council, South Wales Police, Cardiff and Vale University Health Board, the police and fire authorities and Wales Probation Trust.