Have you had your Iff Card?

November 9, 2010 17 Comments »
Have you had your Iff Card?

iff card

Cardiff Bus has launched its top-up card payment system for catching buses around the city, and demand has been exceeding expectation.

The bus operator has been inundated with requests, over 25,000 of them, and has nearly hit its year-end total of 30,000 cards within a few weeks.

Cardiff Bus have not provided figures for how many have been issued and activated, but the first to apply received £3 credit on their card.

A walk along the Westgate Street bus stops revealed a range of experiences about applying for the Iff card.

Ben Blakey, a 16-year-old student St David’s College, said: “I think it’s a good idea and will be very popular. I’ve applied for one so that my parents can top it up and put money on it for me. I got an email saying there was going to be a delay.”

Jade Davies, a 17-year-old student from Fairwater, said: “I saw it being advertised and thought it’s a good idea. I haven’t applied yet as I don’t know how to do it. But I am looking forward to getting one.”

Ryan Harper, an 18-year-old student from Ely, applied for his card three weeks ago.

He said: “I got an email saying my application had been accepted but nothing since then. There’s been very little communication about what’s happening.”

But what do you think? Have you had your Iff Card? Have you started using it? Did you apply first-thing and not had one? Let us know in the comments below or email ed.walker@mediawales.co.uk with your views

1. samwaysblog November 9, 2010 at 1:00 pm - Reply

Just applied for mine yesterday but if I'm honest it was purely on the basis of getting the free £3! I think Cardiff buses are overpriced anyway compared to other city centre buses (I grew up in Birmingham where some tickets were as low as 80p) but every student can do with £3 of free travel if it's offered. Hope I manage to get in there before it all runs out…glad you posted about this though, had no idea it was so popular!

2. vanillalatte1 November 9, 2010 at 1:03 pm - Reply

I filled in the form online a few days before the official launch. I received an email a couple of weeks later saying they were inundated and it would be sent out soon but I still haven't had anything. I continue to scrape together all the change I can in case I need to get the bus.

3. jaycardiff November 9, 2010 at 1:14 pm - Reply

I signed up on the launch day and I'm still waiting! I did receive a nice card from Cardiff bus telling me it's on it's way. still no sign of it!…………. Just like the number 45 bus service.

4. cardiffresident November 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm - Reply

i filled in the online form on the day of the launch and still not received.

I did get an email saying that they had had an unexpected number of requests and they were trying to send them as soon as possible (email received on 22/10)

still no card (9/11)

5. kevin November 9, 2010 at 1:28 pm - Reply

Same as above.

6. Josh D November 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm - Reply

I signed up the minute it was announced, still no notification about a delay and still no cards, why is card so behind in comparison to other major UK cities?

7. markcardiff79 November 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm - Reply

Ditto as all above, but at the end of the day they are giving us a free travel card (I had to pay for my oyster) and £3 worth of travel – I havent had to pay for it so I'm not complaining. When it comes it comes, why should be complain when a freebie is takign a bit longer to arrive?

8. kasperlfc November 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm - Reply

Same here, still no card.

9. @kez_d84 November 9, 2010 at 2:26 pm - Reply

I signed up a few days after the launch. Had an email a few weeks ago saying my application had been processed and it was on its way, but it is yet to arrive…

10. @cardiffbites November 9, 2010 at 3:45 pm - Reply

Signed up a week before the launch and was told to reapply as the website had crashed. Reapplied a few days after the launch and got an email weeks later saying the card had been delayed and would be here "soon" – that was almost 2 weeks ago and I still haven't received anything. I use the bus every day to commute to work as I don't drive and am hanging on signing up for their monthly tickets until I get the card.

11. @egrommet November 9, 2010 at 5:45 pm - Reply

I'm still waiting too, applied soon after it was announced but have heard nothing as yet.

12. MJD42 November 9, 2010 at 8:36 pm - Reply

I dont know of anybody who has had their card yet but getting a reply out of Cardiff Bus is like getting a response from a communist government.

13. Mazinsky November 12, 2010 at 9:43 am - Reply

I applied about 4 weeks ago too, but unlike most of the posters here, I haven't had any kind of response or confirmation of receipt of my application.

14. Benjamin November 16, 2010 at 1:35 am - Reply

I'm sorry, but this article doesn't comment on a 'range of experiences'; you quote three people age 16 to 18, with two experiences. It's a shame Cardiff's journalism isn't as effective as the bus service.

And it's free! I'm sure Cardiff Bus could have prepared the system in full and ordered in 30,000 cards; but then, how would they have known it would be this popular? This is a new product at initial launch; there are going to be teething problems.

'Getting a reply out of Cardiff Bus is like getting a response from a communist government'. Seriously, think about how stupid this sounds.

It's free. It's barely just after it launched. Oh, and it's a travel card. One: give them slack, and two: you've managed perfectly well without the card for the last 100 years. When you haven't paid anything for it, what right does anyone have to get angry about it taking slightly longer to ship?

Jeez.

15. Bryan Smith November 20, 2010 at 6:56 pm - Reply

I applied for the iff Smart card from Cardiff Bus nearly two months ago, chased it up two weeks ago, but a bit like the transport service Cardiff Bus runs it made excuses, as usual. So I do not expect it to soon, seems though Newport had no problems only Cardiff Bus with the new Smart card. Sort yourselves out Cardiff Bus you are already receiving an unprecedented number of complaints about your services. Friday was abysmal here in Llanrumney waiting over an hour for one bus in the evening, driver made excuses but their just shrug their shoulders, it is not good enough Cardiff Bus, sort it out or get rid of the Operations Director.