Caroline Street: Chippy Lane or Chippy Alley?

January 13, 2011 22 Comments »
Caroline Street: Chippy Lane or Chippy Alley?

chipply lane

Following the arrest of Cardiff City striker Craig Bellamy, for an alleged assault in the centre of Cardiff, there has been much discussion about where the incident took place, or rather the name of it.

The assault happened on Caroline Street – known locally as Chippy Lane or Chippy Alley – but as the news went viral, many news organisations, including Sky Sports and The Times, reported that the incident took place on Chippy Lane, much to the displeasure of the Twittersphere.

Below are just two of the more polite tweets we found informing the national media of the error of their ways.

—————————————————————————————————————————————–

Bellamy getting arrested in Cardiff shouldn’t be news because SkySports have called Caroline Street Chippy Lane instead of Chippy Alley!

Wed Jan 12 18:37:56 via web(Dewi Powell)

—————————————————————————————————————————————–

@TimesCrime Not Chippy Alley, Chippy Lane!

Wed Jan 12 16:24:04 via TweetDeck(Jamie Thunder)

—————————————————————————————————————————————–

There’s even a Facebook group, which has over 400 members, with its title proudly proclaiming “It’s CHIPPY LANE not CHIPPY ALLEY!”

Vote below in our poll

Is Caroline Street Chippy Lane? Or is it Chippy Alley? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below

1. Chris Lent January 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm - Reply

I’ve always called it “Chippy Lane” and I walked through there regularly on my way home from work. I’ve also heard it called “Chip Alley” but I can honestly say I’ve never heard it referred to as “Chippy Alley”. I think Chippy Lane and Chip Alleyroll on the tongue better than Chippy Alley

2. vanillalatte1 January 13, 2011 at 2:20 pm - Reply

I used to call it Chippy Alley and I was informed that only 'foreigners' and students call it Chippy Alley. I was originally a 'foreigner' i.e. not from Cardiff, and also a student so I guess that's where I got it from.

After persuasion from my new Cardiffian buddies, I now call it Chippy Lane every time!

3. Alex Scott January 13, 2011 at 2:37 pm - Reply

I'd also go a long with that. When I moved to Cardiff I called it Chippy Alley, and everyone I knew from home called it that. (West Walian)

I was later informed by locals that it is in fact Chippy Lane.

4. Sam From TheSprout January 13, 2011 at 2:39 pm - Reply

Chatted about this last night, reckon Chippy Lane = Cardiff, Chip Alley = Valleys

• EL1 September 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm - Reply

actually it's chippy lane in the valleys, i think it's barry or grangetown ely side I've herd saying chippy alley…..

5. Eddie January 13, 2011 at 2:54 pm - Reply

I'm glad we're finally getting to the bottom of this crucial matter.

6. Toby January 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm - Reply

ITS CHIPPY LANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Kacie January 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm - Reply

Chippy Lane all the way, from a born and bred Cardiff girl. It drives me mad when people call it Chippy Alley!!!!

8. Patrick Bateman January 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm - Reply

Born here in the 60's and it's just plain Caroline Street – have only ever heard it called chip alley/lane by outsiders

9. Dom d'Orgeval January 13, 2011 at 4:36 pm - Reply

Nicking stories off ccmb again I see

• @ajhalls1 January 13, 2011 at 5:58 pm - Reply

Hi Dom, thanks for your comment.
      Have just stumbled upon the original debate over at ccmb.co.uk (for those that haven't seen it, it can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/64tjwpd)
      I genuinely hadn't seen the thread before I popped this post up, but have enjoyed reading the comments since!
      Hope you've all enjoyed the debate.
      Cheers,
      Andy

10. Patrick Bateman January 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm - Reply

Get that "chip" off your shoulder Dom

11. Jim January 13, 2011 at 4:54 pm - Reply

Salmonela Street

12. Simon Price January 13, 2011 at 6:39 pm - Reply

It's CHIP Alley, all day long. Ask the Manics. (Or, as my dad used to call it, Salmonella Alley…)

13. ourmanflint January 13, 2011 at 7:00 pm - Reply

Ask the Manics, there are from Newport!!!

Caroline St, always and forever

14. Hoggott January 13, 2011 at 7:44 pm - Reply

Late at night Chippy lane is one of the most dangerous places in Britain.
    No surprises about this story really.

15. Princess January 14, 2011 at 4:51 pm - Reply

It’s definitely Chippy Lane – to locals anyway.

You can always tell an outsider by what they call Chippy Lane…

16. D.C. February 8, 2011 at 8:25 pm - Reply

It has always been called Chippy Alley because it was a play on the phrase Tin Pan Alley i.e. Chip Pan Alley.

17. Janey August 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm - Reply

always Ca'line Street innit… Born & bred in Grangetown – only an outsider would ever call it Chippy Alley/Lane!
    I'm now an expat and gets down Ca'line Street whenever I can – dragging the English OH ('are we going to Chippy Alley?' says he)