Online spat over Cardiff congestion charge idea

May 5, 2011 12 Comments »
Online spat over Cardiff congestion charge idea

congestion charge

A controversial idea to introduce congestion charging in the Welsh capital has triggered a tweet-a-tweet.

Council leader Rodney Berman and the Cardiff Civic Society – who proposed the idea revealed on yourCardiff yesterday – were exchanging their views in cyberspace.

Coun Berman questioned whether there was any support for the idea, tweeting: “Do you detect support for charging to drive in inner suburbs, hiking parking charges and removing traffic from Castle St?”

The congestion charge zone would stretch from south of the A48 to Cardiff Bay and from Culverhouse Cross in the West to where the A4232 joins the A48 in the East.

View a map showing the proposed congestion charge zone

View Cardiff congestion charge and car-free zones in a larger map

The Civic Society, chaired by Peter Cox, responded on Twitter to Coun Berman: “CCS detects profound desire to tackle the city’s problems positively for future generations in carbon zero city.”

Coun Berman then accused the society of wanting to build a road through Bute Park, which drew a response from the society about the new bridge which was built into the park.

The Civic Society posted: “for the record Cardiff CS opposed the building of your £1.2M bridge and road for 40tonne lorries in Bute Park.”

Vote in our poll on the congestion charge idea

The congestion charge idea and a proposal to make the city centre completely car-free have drawn a mixed response both online and offline.

Commenters on yourCardiff – the WalesOnline community site for Cardiff – questioned how it could work.

Andy Davies said: “I work in Llandaff and live in Culverhouse Cross, I cycle when possible but the only road I can take is the A48 which is a dual carriageway. I used to ride my bike in London so am used to city riding and I find cycling in Cardiff intimidating. There needs to be a lot of investment in public transport and cycle lanes before any congestion charge can be introduced.”

Conservative group leader David Walker gave his response to the green paper from the Civic Society.

He said: “In principle the ideas for a metro scheme and M4 relief road are worth exploring further. They would require WAG support and funding. The aim of reducing carbon emissions is also laudable and achievable.

“I am sceptical about introducing road charging in a medium sized city like Cardiff. I believe there would be huge resistance from citizens and it would greatly limit people’s  travel flexibility. A metro scheme and relief road would, in themselves, reduce congestion without the need for charging.”

Let us know what you think about the congestion charge idea in the comments below

1. Ian May 5, 2011 at 9:08 am - Reply

Preposterous idea – it doesn't help that I almost live in the no-car zone (which certainly wouldn't help people who live in the City Centre!)

Whilst congestion charging may work for London, it will do nothing but detriment Cardiff's economy, both in terms of retail and companies looking to open offices here. There is enough pedestrianisation in the city centre as to deter traffic anyway.

As a final and ultimately the strongest comment, this will not work with Cardiff and the Vale's public transport in its current state. Buses are unreliable, over crowded and over priced. The rail network is equally poorly administered

2. Sue de Neem May 5, 2011 at 9:14 am - Reply

I live in Thornhill, work in Culverhouse Cross and my parents are in Cyncoed. These journeys are rarely congested – and i'd resent having to pay to travel to and from work and to visit see my elderly parents when there is no sensible or viable public transport alternative. And cycling to and from work is a complete no go – I have to tackle Culverhouse Cross roundabout and either Gabalfa and the duel carriage or Coryton and the Motorway (which you can't cycle anyway) I'd rather not die in some horrible road traffic accident thank you very much!

These plans would also seriously damage trade and flexibility in the city and make traveling anywhere the provision of the rich. The city centre is virtually completly pedestrianised anyway – this is a foolhardy idea.

3. David Hayes May 5, 2011 at 9:27 am - Reply

I live in culverhouse cross but work in newport. This would just be a tax to get home, lining the coffers and lets face it, the money that would be raised wouldn’t be used to maintain the roads anyway!

4. neil obrien May 5, 2011 at 11:26 am - Reply

another stupid idea by bearman what planet is he on or is it going to be like the propossed new school on rumney rec no one wants it but hes pushing it through as if he were to back down he would loose face and then show what a really smug bloke he really is if he wants to mess up peoples live why dont he go back to his own city in scotland and mess with there lives

• Twm May 5, 2011 at 10:42 pm - Reply

Neil – you can't blame this one on Rodders – the idea has come from the Cardiff Civic Society whose chairman Peter Cox is wonderfully thick skinned and thankfully won't let the rubbishing this idea has had deter him from a) defending it b) coming out with more daft ideas.

5. NHS WORKER May 5, 2011 at 1:51 pm - Reply

I work for the NHS on one of the LOWEST pay bands yet the work that I do is considered to be vital to frontline services. I live 5 miles from Llandough Hospital and start work at 6am each day. Without my car I would have NO job as there is no direct bus route for me to use. The idea that I should have to pay an ADDITIONAL tax in order for me to do this VITAL work is proposterous. What piece of wood did the Cardiff Civic Society crawl out from?…..who elected you? come on people catch up with the 21st century and lift your heads out of the sand….be realistic about your proposals and how they will affect the LOWEST paid.
    I am a non-political individual and would for the first time in my life take part in a protest against this ill considered proposal.

• carol matthews May 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm - Reply

£5 every time we go into cardiff ,to shop to see family ,Has no one told you the berlin was has come down . this is not to stop traffic this is just for money , some way of getting money out of us poor hit cardiff people . well let the fight begin , if i can vote this out i will and hope i can vote you out of your job

6. stuart May 5, 2011 at 4:52 pm - Reply

I will shortly be living in Cardiff Bay and working in Cwmbran. I do 12 hour shifts. Why should I pay a congestion charge to get to work and back when public transport schemes don’t match my shift hours???

7. Paul H May 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm - Reply

Insane!
    My nearest park & ride is inside the congestion charge zone so its absoloutely no incentive to use public transport- which is crap anyway! I dont use public transport because I am not prepared to be subject to the vagries of a system that doesn't go where or when I want it to.
    Question to Mr Cox- where do you live? Do you need a car for your job(if you're lucky enough to have one)

8. shirley July 26, 2011 at 1:34 pm - Reply

Preparing to bleed the people of more money. Cardiff will be a city of down and outs before long.

9. Over Taxed Driver July 27, 2011 at 11:40 am - Reply

I have read the above comments with interest, and I have to say I totally agree. The idea of a congestion charge is total nonsense. I currently commute nearly 50 miles to get to work, which will be right in the middle of the proposed congestion charge zone.

Public transport is a joke,I already pay a huge amount in fuel costs and to add £25 a week for a congestion charge beggars belief.

I think it's about time people who make these suggestions wake up to reality and realise that whilst it may be a nice idea on paper , it 's a terrible idea in practice.

The damage this proposal would do to the Cardiff economy would be awful, I for one would not come into Cardiff anymore to do my shopping and I doubt that I would be the only one who stopped.

10. david February 28, 2012 at 1:11 pm - Reply

why has the caerau area been included in the charge area it is never congested except the part where the council has messed around with the lights and put a stupid island in the middle of two bus stops. the roads on the estate go nowhere it is a partly closed area