Anger at Michael Jackson tribute concert ticketing system

July 27, 2011 19 Comments »
Anger at Michael Jackson tribute concert ticketing system

The Jackson family announce the Michael Jackson tribute concert.

Fans hoping to go to the Michael Jackson tribute concert will be picked by the amount of money they donate to charity on top of the ticket price.

Chris Hunt, boss of gig organisers Global Live Events, told CNN profits from the October 8 Michael Forever show would go to charities in the United States and Britain. These are The Prince’s Trust, Aids Project Los Angeles and a cancer charity.

But fans logging on to buy tickets, which will not be available until August 4, are told: “Choose your ticket price and tell us how much you will give to the charities at the time of purchase.

“Remember the more you pledge to charity, the more chance you have of getting a ticket.

“Tickets will range from £55 to £289 plus shipping. The amount of your pledge is up to you.”

Jacko fan Daniel Robertson, from Cardiff, was appalled. The 32-year-old and his wife Ceri want five tickets for themselves and their three children.

The British Gas worker, of Mynachdy Road, Gabalfa, said: “It’s going to be like a lottery for the rich for myself and my family because the ticket prices are really high.

“They are steep ticket prices regardless, and then you have to donate to charity.

“I do a lot of work for the MS Society but it is wrong that you should be considered by the amount of money you can give to charity.”

On the concert’s Facebook page Caroline Rowley, who also lives in Cardiff, said: “What an utter disgrace. Choose what price you want to pay and then donate to a charity?

“The more you donate the more you stand to get a ticket? Disgusting.”

Mayah Thomas said: “Makes no sense does it?”

Jackie Segers claimed donations should go to Africa “to honour Michael”.

“I’ll gladly donate then, even if I can’t attend,” she said.

Ben Baggins expressed his “deepest and most sincere indifference”.

“I give my money directly to charities,” he added.

Natascha Derycke branded the affair “so sad”.

The Echo contacted Global Live and was referred to PR company Franklin Rae.

A spokeswoman claimed she was not aware of the situation and was unable to comment.

The Millennium Stadium is owned by the WRU.

A spokesman said: “We will, as usual, ensure that all ticket distribution complies with the stadium’s obligations.”

He insisted the company only provided the venue, adding: “We will ensure that the promoter is aware of any concerns raised in relation to the sale and distribution of tickets to the concert.”

The show’s official website  sets out a two-stage process to obtain tickets:

Stage One
Register your interest, choose your ticket price and tell us how much you will give to the charities at the time of purchase.

Remember, the more you pledge to charity, the more chance you have of getting a ticket. Tickets will range from £55 to £289 plus shipping. The amount of your pledge is up to you.

A number of special VIP Packages will be available details to follow soon.

The Registration period will last 76 hours from 8pm British Summer Time on Thursday 4 August 2011 until midnight British Summer Time on Sunday 7 August 2011.

Stage Two
If you are successful you will be invited to purchase a ticket within the price band you have selected. “Your charity donation which you pledged at registration will be collected at the same time as you pay for the tickets.”

Full details can be found here: http://home.michaelforevertribute.com/home.html

1. Wojega Allan July 27, 2011 at 4:18 pm - Reply

Very Sad Indeed

2. mjyvv July 27, 2011 at 6:08 pm - Reply

Disgraceful

3. Mili2010 July 27, 2011 at 6:51 pm - Reply

I don't think Michael Jackson will approve… Very sad indeed,
    Just one very important thing to the author James McCarthy : no fan of Michael Jackson will call him "Jacko" ! This is a disgusting insult. Daniel Robertson, if he's a real admirer of MJ, will not approve either.
    So, write straight blogger McCarthy !

4. Dakota July 27, 2011 at 7:19 pm - Reply

Anyone know the scientific mathematical formula for the rate of decent of a lead balloon?

5. @MUZIKfactoryTWO July 27, 2011 at 8:10 pm - Reply

It is not just the ticketing, which is reminscent of Victory Tour when Michael had to step in to fix. There are myriads of reasons why this tribute is inappropriate. Most important of all is that takes place 2.5 weeks into the Conrad Murray trial. It is opportunistic, insensitive, disrespectful and a disgrace.

FANS PROTEST MICHAEL FOREVER TRIBUTE http://muzikfactorytwo.blogspot.com/2011/07/micha

6. elizabeth July 27, 2011 at 11:12 pm - Reply

Want to bet this concert will never happen? It does not have the Estate's backing; for some reason the Jacksons have been conned again, or are they part of the problem? Michael Jackson GAVE AWAY tickets to his concerts to the needy. This is definitely not something he would have been part of. If you want to contribute to these charities, write a check in memory of Michael. At least it will go to the charity and not to the talentless Jackson pockets.

7. Cleide July 28, 2011 at 4:36 am - Reply

Seriously? Jackson Family, Jackson Family tsc tsc…

8. cengiz July 28, 2011 at 8:32 am - Reply

thnis is both sad and a disgrace like the “charity money is going towards charity” sounds like a scam. It should only be an optional thing if u can donate thanks if u cant thanks anyway

9. DiDi July 28, 2011 at 12:43 pm - Reply

@ James McCarthy
    I'm guessing you are not aware of this, otherewise I'm sure you wouldn't have printed it, but MJ fans find the word 'Jacko' and 'Wacko Jacko' exremely offensive as did Michael.

"Yeah, Wacko Jacko, where did that come from? Some English tabloid. I have a heart and I have feelings. I feel that when you do that to me. It's not nice"

Thank you.

Michael Jackson

10. Donna July 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm - Reply

That's crazy alright!! I only wish I could attend, I only wish I could have attended a REAL MJ concert!! but, feeding my kids and clothing them had to come first! Shame on SOME of the Greedier Jacksons!!!

• elizabeth crompton July 29, 2011 at 1:18 am - Reply

really Jackson family REALLY?? why doesn’t the Jackson family contribute to their charities or Michaels charity

11. Nicky July 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm - Reply

This is disgraceful! I don't think Michael would have stood for this either. It caters to the rich, and Michael wanted all people to be able to appreciate and celebrate his work. What a clumsy, shameful mis-step….

12. Kevin July 28, 2011 at 10:08 pm - Reply

If anything the dissicion should be left to his childeren . Beacuse I know in my heart if Michael was here He would not be asking these sort of fee’s for charity on top of the ticket price he was not that type of person to do this dis-honor’s his memory.

13. Daniel Robertson July 28, 2011 at 10:11 pm - Reply

Seems like the story has spread glabally and thanks to Wales onlines intrest there seems to be a possitive change in the ticketing structure.. or atleast how it is being worded.. check site for details

14. Daniel Robertson July 28, 2011 at 10:13 pm - Reply

WHY IS THE TICKETING PROCESS STRUCTURED AS IT IS?

We wanted to avoid the usual frantic rush and confusion when tickets for big events go on sale. We also wanted to stop ticket touts making huge sums of money off the fans. Our system is simple and calm and ensures that those applying to buy tickets have an equal chance of having their tickets reserved for them.
    HOW DO I GET A TICKET? WHAT IS THE REGISTRATION PERIOD?
    When the countdown reaches ZERO you will be able to register your interest on the website. You will enter your contact details, choose your ticket price level and enter a charity pledge. The registration period will last four days to give everyone an opportunity to register.
    The charity pledge can be as low as £1, and for the lower price ranges tickets will be allocated by simple ballot at the end of the registration period. We want everybody to be able to afford to come – even the lowest bidders have an equal chance of purchasing a ticket.

15. sue jeffs July 28, 2011 at 10:58 pm - Reply

Just taking money from people who love MJ..I would love to be there but know i will not be able to afford it.It was the ordinary everyday people who followed MJ through the years and they are being pushed out by not being rich .We stood by him through all his troubles and i will always love his music just a shame i can't go

16. carol knight July 31, 2011 at 10:57 pm - Reply

i am disgusted with this farce of tickets , yes i can understand why the jackson family want to donate to charities but as a life long fan, i think its disgusting that normal everyday people who have to save to buy a ticket wont even get the chance to be honest to purchase one due to not being able to afford to donate a lot of money , its only going to be the" fatcats " who will be going to this concert!!!! jackson family please rethink and do the right thing for us mj's fans !.

17. lesley August 2, 2011 at 1:15 am - Reply

I'm totally & utterly digusted.I did purchase tickets for his gig before mj died and although i recieved ticket refund friends and i were out a lot of money because we already booked hotel and train fares to london.
    His family should hang their head in shame at the timing of this with the trial. Seems to me the more money you donate the better chance of a ticket.
    Sick Sick Sick

18. maria August 8, 2011 at 5:17 am - Reply

"honestly I have no room for this tribute concert, I wish I could … because the means of our living is base as honorarium, I am a preacher's wife… shame on me." lol