New ticket details emerge about Michael Jackson tribute concert at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium

July 29, 2011 31 Comments »

Members of the Jackson family announcing the Forever Michael Tribute Concert to take place at Cardiff's Millennuim Stadium.

Organisers of the Michael Jackson tribute concert in Cardiff have insisted fans will all have an equal chance of getting a ticket, following complaints by yourCardiff readers.

Global Live Events’ website this morning released further details of the controversial ticketing system which this week sparked anger from Jackson fans across the world.

Ticket buyers for the October 8 show at the Welsh capital’s Millennium Stadium were originally told they would also have to make a donation to charity.

When the Michael Forever Tribute Concert was announced by some members of the Jackson family on Monday, the official concert website stated: “The more you pledge to charity, the more chance you have of getting a ticket.”

But now a revamped version of the ticketing system has appeared on http://home.michaelforevertribute.com/home.html

It says: “We wanted to avoid the usual frantic rush and confusion when tickets for big events go on sale.

“We also wanted to stop ticket touts making huge sums of money off the fans. Our system is simple and calm and ensures that those applying to buy tickets have an equal chance of having their tickets reserved for them

“When the countdown reaches ZERO you will be able to register your interest on the website. You will enter your contact details, choose your ticket price level and enter a charity pledge.

“The registration period will last four days to give everyone an opportunity to register.

“The charity pledge can be as low as £1, and for the lower price ranges tickets will be allocated by simple ballot at the end of the registration period.

“We want everybody to be able to afford to come – even the lowest bidders have an equal chance of purchasing a ticket.”

But it still says the best seats will go to the highest bidders, adding: “At the end of the registration period we will also analyse the pledge amounts and allocate tickets to the more expensive seats to those making the highest pledge.”

Details of the ticket pricing structure have been removed from the website.

However, at Monday night’s announcement it was said that tickets would be priced from £55 to £289, plus shipping.

Will you be buying tickets for the Michael Jackson tribute concert? Let us know by leaving a comment below.

1. Moonirah July 29, 2011 at 11:28 am - Reply

WRU as owners of the event location – what arrangements did you agree with for the purchase of Tickets by Welsh 'Registered Disabled' aficionados of music ? Our Capital City of Wales has always considered such Welsh citizens being enabled to attend special events including the visits of foreign Prime Ministers and Presidents.

2. summer July 29, 2011 at 1:47 pm - Reply

no, my friends and I will not buy tickets, because charity should be paid from ticket price, not of the additional from fans.

3. Nuria July 29, 2011 at 2:31 pm - Reply

The funny thing is that they deleted the link to the facebook page of the event were hundreds of fans have been leaving negative messages against this bidding nonsense since it was announced.

Another funny thing is that the whole thing looks like an reenactment of the Victory tour ticket fiasco, where the brothers had a similar idea to this for selling tickets. Michael stopped that nonsense and donated all this part to charity. Sadly he is not here to to the same again. :(

• Regina Colson July 29, 2011 at 9:38 pm - Reply

I so agree with what you said.This just show the difference in Mr. Michael Jackson and his family.Because he whould never expect his fans to make a donation to be able to see his show.I belive some of the proceeds from the ticket sales should be donated to charites.And no i will not be buying tickets for this show.But ido want it to be a great show ALL FOR LOVE. Regina Colson

4. Ben July 29, 2011 at 2:38 pm - Reply

It's still discrimination based on money, which is something that would never have happened, had Michael still be here. Just like the Victory tour system, that HE had to change… This concert has nothing to do with charity. It has to do with desperately trying to appropriate Michael's fan base. The Jacksons should realize respect doesnt come with a last name.

5. Darina July 29, 2011 at 4:38 pm - Reply

Even though this is only an hours flight from me, very easy to get to I will not be going. I am a lifelong Michael Jackson fan who has seen Michael Jackson at multiple events and concerts since 1997. Seeing the comments from my UK and European Michael Jackson fan friends on facebook and other places, everyone is feeling the same way. We do not agree with the ticket system, to just REGISTER for a ticket you have to pledge a charity donation, which is ontop of the ticket price. The more you pledge, the higher your chances of getting a ticket.

• nessa August 13, 2011 at 11:45 am - Reply

look again the pledge is optional, and as a lifetime long fan i think anything for michael as to be good, i agree it is a strange way tosell tickets but it depeds how badley u wanna go….. take no notice of what other fans comment i make my own mind up i say sod em do what u heart tells ya or dont go simple as that ……

6. Debbii100 July 29, 2011 at 8:00 pm - Reply

I was the first one to jump with joy when this was announced. Since firstly it was being held in the UK and secondly it was happening on my 50th birthday! However, I am afraid I am not holding out much hope for this event, since The Estate has firmly said that they are not supporting it! So until a resolution has been made between the organisers and The Estate, I am afraid I cannot see how they can hold a 'Michael Jackson Tribute Concert' without using Michael's name or image. I have also found that I have been 'blocked' from their FB site along with all my comments removed. This again just highlights to me how wrong this all seems to be, since all my comments although negative in nature, have been based on facts and respectful.

To anyone thinking of going dont book your Hotel room just yet!

7. Evelyn July 29, 2011 at 8:13 pm - Reply

Michael is turning over in his grave. This is beyond disgusting and a slap in the faces of his fans around the world. :o(

8. Guest July 29, 2011 at 8:14 pm - Reply

Why everyone's making a fuss about about ticket prices??? Best seats are always more expensive and it was the case even with MJ's O2 shows. I had to shell out thousands for good seats by the stage, so what? That's life and because that's how it always done, I don't get angry. It just inspires me to work harder and earn money to be able to afford to get those seats, they are a reward for my hard work.

• Darina July 30, 2011 at 5:55 pm - Reply

@Guest We are making a fuss because we KNOW that Michael Jackson would not like his fans treated this way. I have been to many Michael Jackson events and concert since 1997, he ALWAYS made sure that the tickets were low priced. He NEVER forced us to make a charity pledge ONTOP of the ticket price. We always only paid face value. For The London O2 shows the first 100 fans in the queue at The O2 when the tickets went onsale were able to buy front row tickets for the same price as the lower price sections. We object to having to pay MORE to see some Jackson family members and at this time un named performers than we have paid to Michael Jackson.

Just because we are Michael Jackson fans does not make us Jackson family fans and we do not have to like or support their projects. We all want Michael to be honored with an amazing tribute concert that is professionally run to the high standards he always worked to. Unfortunately without the support or authorization from The Estate of Michael Jackson, this concert is not the right way to honor The King Of Pop.

• Danny August 5, 2011 at 1:02 pm - Reply

Darina, sadly you are being naive. Your comment about the first 100 fans in the queue getting better tickets – it was a publicity stunt! A way to spread the hype, and get a thousand people queuing there for hours and hours, through the night. I don't understand why people can't see that this concert is being put on to give MJ fans something to look forward to, something to be excited about. And because it's not perfect, everyone is complaining. I really don't understand, either you love the music or you don't. That's what it has always been about, the music, and nothing else.

• samantha August 12, 2011 at 11:15 pm - Reply

yes this is true!>…i dont see how any kind of tickets sales structure would work these days to be honest, they are trying something different at least.

9. David July 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm - Reply

I've a question; do you have a bigger chance to get tickets if you register as soon as possible or do you have the same chance of getting a ticket after 4 days?

• Darina July 30, 2011 at 6:01 pm - Reply

According to the information released both on the concert website and facebook, the higher your charity pledge, the higher your chance of getting a ticket. I would strongly advise you against this concert. This concert is being BOYCOTTED by 90 % of the Michael Jackson fan community, not just the International fans but the majority of the European / UK fans. Please save your money until a more professionally run concert happens or why not go to see THRILLER LIVE, the ONLY Michael Jackson Tribute Show which was created BEFORE Michael left us, and the ONLY tribute show which Michael Jackson gave his 100% authorization and approval

• David August 1, 2011 at 12:25 am - Reply

I know they're not allowed to use MJ's name from the Estate, but if i won't go to this concert, the next one will probably in the US. That's too far for me, because I live in Holland and I'm 15 years old. Although a lot of people are against the concert, MJ's mom herself and some of his brothers support the concert. I am still in doubt. I consider not to do it, because I think you're right and the Jackson family once agian have dollars in their eyes… Why can't they just organise a tribute concert so that everybody is happy; the Jackson family, the Estate and the MJ Community and fans? Michael would loved that everybody is happy, now there's just angry everywhere around the concert… You also like the idea of a tribute concert, right?

• KATRINA July 31, 2011 at 11:50 am - Reply

I TO LIKE MAY OTHERS IS A BIG MICHEAL JACKSON FAN…..IVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS BIG EVENT TO HAPPEN….I WILL TRY MY VERY BEST TO OBTAIN TICKETS FOR MYSELF AND MY PARTNER AND MY CHILDREN BUT IM AFRAID IL LOSE OUT TO RICHER PEOPLE ….ITS SUCH A SHAME COS MICHEAL LOVED ALL HIS FANS NOT JUST THE RICHER ONES

• Danny August 5, 2011 at 1:04 pm - Reply

At least you won't lose out to hundreds of ticket touts who don't care about anything but money. At least this way, the touts will get NOTHING – unlike every other concert ever. I will definitely be going, and I will enjoy it so much! Come and enjoy it too.

10. Debbii100 July 30, 2011 at 8:53 am - Reply

On top of a very strange ticketing system. The Concert is not being supported by The Estate and until such time as it is, the organisers have to realise that it will make a lot of the fans very wary of this set up. Apart from anything else, I fail to understand how it can proceed when they have neither permission to use Michael's name or image.

I would be lying if I said I was not overjoyed to hear that the concert was being held in the UK (and on my birthday to boot) however, there are still too many question marks surrounding it for my liking.

11. Debbii100 July 30, 2011 at 10:53 am - Reply

Ooops sorry posted twice!!!Lol!

12. lana clayton July 30, 2011 at 11:29 pm - Reply

I think the people that choose to keep there this is it concert tickets should have priority. Ticket touts will end up with these tickets and once again the fans will have to pay crazy amounts of money. Fan club members should have priorty too i think

13. Andrew August 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm - Reply

How are Disabled fans of Michael expected to purchase tickets, the staff at the Stadium only told me to continually view the website!!!!

14. Maria August 4, 2011 at 9:16 am - Reply

There should be more than one concert, everyone should get the chance to go, its so unfair, especially the way with the ticket process

15. Long live the king August 4, 2011 at 7:16 pm - Reply

If you love the king as much as I do, you should take a look at this: http://www.threadless.com/submission/359088/Long_

I am taking part on a design competition. With your help the design might
    by be picked out of more than thousand designs and published worldwide on
    t-shirts. Please score for it (5 points = love it), comment and tell all
    your friends! Thank you for your support.

16. Nick August 5, 2011 at 11:39 am - Reply

How can we register for tickets? I've been on the website multiple times and it doesn't give you the option to register now (despite supposedly being open to registrants, as of yesterday )! Has the system crashed? The organising of the ticketing all seems like a bit of a joke……..

• Alisia August 6, 2011 at 12:50 am - Reply

Can you tell me when you can buy tickets, because I think also that the system crashed. Thank you

17. eve August 10, 2011 at 2:19 pm - Reply

i am a huge fan of MJ…and i would give so much to see tribute concert but in that case i am actually not going too..they said everyone have equal chances YEAH RIGHT…of course is all about the money..Michael would never done anything like that..and unfortunately Jacksons family once again letting all Michael fans down…i would pay any money to see Michael and i did..unfortunately my ticket is hanging on my wall in lovely frame now…but all this ''stars'' are not even close…so i can play my own tribute to Michael..

18. loraottawacanada August 15, 2011 at 9:48 pm - Reply

Is this Tribute being televised? Has anyone heard? At least they can do that for the "poor" fans who cannot afford tickets…imagine I live in Canada….I would have to purchase tickets in English Pounds, get a flight and a hotel…holy smokes that would cost me well over $2 dollars cdn! No way!

19. Missy August 16, 2011 at 7:57 pm - Reply

Does anyone know what % is going to the charities, is it a percentage of the ticket sales aswell as the pledges or just the money from the pledges? The ticket prices are very expensive for the average fan and if I spent £150 for a ticket I would hope that a percentage of that would be going to the chosen charities aswell as any merchandise sales. Also for the price of the tickets I would expect an outstanding line up of internationally renowned stars.

20. Darina August 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm - Reply

Open Letter on Behalf of Michael Jackson Fans to Global Live Events:

Dear Messrs. Chris Hunt and Paul Ring:

We, as Michael Jackson’s staunch supporters and advocates, refuse to support the Michael Forever Tribute, planned by Global Live Events in October , 2011. Even with the withdrawal of your most recent performer, Gene Simmons / KISS, fans feel the damage has already been done. Your apology is too little, too late and does not solve the problems we have with this tribute.

Since the initial announcement, through fan sites and forums and a Facebook page (Fans Against Michael Forever Tribute https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fans-against-Micha… ) fans have voiced their concern about this tribute. One of the initial concerns was how fans were treated on the Michael Forever Tribute Facbook page. The administrators were rude and deleted comments. Therefore, when the announcement was made that Global Live Events “listened to fans” regarding the addition of Simmons, many fans are doubtful. Fans believe that Global Live Events, in an attempt to qualm the media and the Estate, rescinded their offer to Simmons. Simply put, it is not the fans that Global Live Events is concerned with, but negative media coverage, which in turn affects ticket sales.

From the timing of this tribute, in the middle of Dr. Conrad Murray’s trial, to the ticketing prices, to the obscurity over what charities will be receiving the donation, to the no-guarantee policy of performers, the addition of Gene Simmons and dishonouring, thus tarnishing Michael Jackson’s legacy was simply the last straw. With the damage done, it will be the fans who work hard to overcome this debacle for Michael Jacksons Legacy.

Please understand that this tribute is doomed to fail now. Attorneys for the Michael Jackson Estate have written to you about their concerns, and now the Michael Jackson fan base has done the same.

Do the right thing for Michael Jackson, and cancel this tribute.

Sincerely

MJJCommunity, MJJForum, M.J.A.N, United4MJLegacy, MJ4Justice, MJFrance, Legendary MJ, MJ: And Justice For Some, Muzikfactory, Australia Salutes MJ, MJ Down Under, MJHellas.gr, MJTurkfan, Truth 4 MJ, MJ Portugal /Espana Fans, MJ Fans for Love & Justice, MJ The Legend Russia, MJJCN MJ Chinese Fanclub, Tributo MJ, MJ Memorial Munich, MJ’s Legacy Association Int, MJ’s Neverland, All4Love, MJVIBE, Iconic, MJ Stranger in Moscow, X Pages, MJ Fans Ireland, MJPortal, Positively Michael, MJ Polish Team, MJ Place w/ No Name, MJ’s Hideout, Complottisti in avanzata, Clear MJ’s name, KOPBOARD

21. Lisa Langworthy August 25, 2011 at 11:12 pm - Reply

I have tried myself to register for this concert coz it's on my birthday, but the prices are so high as well as a charity donation it's just discusting . This concert in in memory of The King himself and not for his family to take all the proceeds and do what ever they like with it.

I really think they should drop all the prices and then give most of the money to a charity that Micheal supported himself.

I will only be able to go if they do drop the prices. I am so gutted that i cant afford to go now. Didn't expect the prices to be soooooo high. Its an outrage.

Lisa from Mid Glamorgan