The kebab shop at the centre of the E.coli outbreak in Cardiff was inspected by hygiene officers less than a month ago – and received a score of just one out of five, it emerged last night.
Adonis Kebab House in City Road remains closed as a “precautionary measure” while Public Health Wales continues its investigations.
Seven cases of E.coli 0157 have been confirmed and three people have been admitted to hospital, with one seriously ill.
Public Health Wales warned that more cases were likely, although none have been diagnosed since Saturday. One case remained under investigation last night.
Dr Gwen Lowe, consultant in communicable disease control at Public Health Wales and chairwoman of the multi-agency outbreak control team, said: “We are asking people who have eaten from the Adonis Kebab House since Monday, July 18, to help with the investigation by giving us their details via a form on the Public Health Wales website – www.publichealthwales.org
“E.coli O157 is a serious bacterial infection that causes abdominal pain and diarrhoea. The symptoms of E.coli O157 range from mild diarrhoea, stomach cramps and fever to bloody diarrhoea. Most people recover without complications, but the most severe cases can develop kidney failure.
“Anyone who is experiencing these symptoms should contact their GP or NHS Direct Wales on 0845 4647 for advice. The infection can pass from person to person, so it is important that anyone who is ill should observe strict personal hygiene to avoid spreading the infection.”
A Cardiff council spokeswoman said: “Adonis is registered with the council as a food business.
“The current food business operator at Adonis has not been subject to any legal proceedings previously for poor food hygiene. The Adonis last received a full inspection on July 22.
“It was rated 1 out of 5 under the food hygiene rating scheme, and in accordance with the scheme a certain timescale has to be given before publication of the rating to allow the opportunity for appeal.
“The rating is due to be uploaded to the Food Standards Agency website by August 28.”
The Welsh Conservatives, meanwhile, said the outbreak was proof of the need for a new law to force takeaways and restaurants to disclose hygiene records.
South Wales Central AM Andrew RT Davies said: “Regrettably it appears that these outbreaks are happening all too frequently. In 2005 we saw the tragic death of a very young child and in 2009 there was another serious outbreak in Wrexham.
“It has taken an age for the Welsh Government to introduce legislation in this area, even though the Pennington Report was published some time ago now.
“This latest outbreak is proof, if proof were needed, that we need to introduce a ‘scores on the doors’ system which would shame owners into action; or, at the very least, give consumers all of the information they need to make a decision.”
Earlier this month, the Welsh Government said a draft food hygiene rating scheme bill would be brought forward for consultation this year. If approved, Wales will be the first country in the UK to introduce a mandatory food hygiene rating.